Monday, 4 April 2016

Greece Sends First Migrants Back To Turkey Under New EU Deal


The first migrants to be deported from Greece as
 part of a controversial new EU plan to tackle the
 migration crisis have landed on Turkish soil.
Three boats carrying 202 people departed in the
 early hours of the morning from the Greek
 islands of Lesbos and Chios.


Migrants on board the first ferry were escorted 
ashore by Turkish police in the port town of Dikilion 
Monday morning, as authorities set up a tarp to 
prevent gathered media from seeing on board. 
A second boat docked shortly afterward.
Greek authorities said there were 136 migrants on
 board the two boats from Lesbos - the majority 
of them from Pakistan, with others from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India, as well as two Syrians 
who had returned voluntarily.
The 66 migrants on board the boat from Chios
 included 42 Afghans, authorities said.

According to Greek officials, the migrants had 
not applied for asylum. A Turkish official said
 Turkey has agreed to accept up to 500 migrants
 per day.
Protesters opposed to the deportations also
 gathered at Dikili's port. One held a sign reading: 
"Refugees welcome. This is your home."


The migrants are the first to be deported under 
the auspices of a contentious "one in, one out"
 deal struck between the European Union and 
Turkey last month.
Under the terms of the deal, anyone who crosses
 into Greece illegally after March 20 will be sent 
back to Turkey.


For every Syrian sent back to Turkey, a vetted
 Syrian refugee will go from Turkey to Europe
 to be resettled, although the maximum number
 is capped at 72,000 people. In return, the EU
 will give Turkey billions in funding to help it
 provide for the migrants within its borders, and
 grant various political concessions.


Speaking to reporters in Dikili on Monday,
 Mustafa Toprak, governor of Izmir province, 
revealed that Syrian migrants who are deported
 to Turkey would not be sent by ship like the first
 group of deportees, but would be flown to the 
southern city of Adana.
From there, they would be sent to camps 
throughout Turkey's southeast, where the
 country shares a border with Syria.


"For every Syrian transported by plane to 
Adana then taken to camps, the same number 
of Syrians will be sent to Europe," he said.
The plan was agreed upon last month as Europe
 struggles to respond to the largest migration 
crisis since World War II. More than 1 million
 people made "irregular arrivals" inside Europe's
 borders in 2015 alone, many of them displaced by 
the Syrian civil war.

About 2.7 million Syrian refugees are registered 
in Turkey.

Whether the agreement will be successful in 
stemming the tide of people into the EU remains
 to be seen, and migrant routes are likely to shift.
A backlog in Greece has built up after its neighbor
 Macedonia and other countries along the migration 
path into Western Europe began blocking access to 
migrants.

The new rules may divert the thousands fleeing their
 home countries farther west to nations such as Italy.

Thousands of refugees stuck on border as new rules
 take hold
On Friday, a report released by Amnesty International condemned the EU agreement and 
said Turkey has been forcibly sending people back
 to Syria, constituting a violation of international
 law -- something Turkey denies.
The report said it found many cases of large-scale
 returns from the Turkish province of Hatay, and
 called it an "open secret in the region."


"In their desperation to seal their borders, EU
 leaders have willfully ignored the simplest of facts: 
Turkey is not a safe country for Syrian refugees and
 is getting less safe by the day," said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International's director for Europe and
 Central Asia.

A statement from the Turkish foreign ministry said 
the Amnesty International report "does not reflect
 the truth."
The statement said that Turkey had been observing an "open door policy" for five years with regard to refugees, and complying with the principle of no returns.


Culled CNN

No comments:

Post a Comment